Dhaka, Aug 18 (V7N)- US President Donald Trump has threatened Oman with military action if the country obstructs US efforts to negotiate with Iran over reopening the strategically important Strait of Hormuz.
According to a report by the BBC, Trump made the remarks during a phone interview with Fox News. He reportedly warned that if Oman obstructed the process, the United States would carry out a heavy bombing campaign against the country.
However, it remains unclear what Trump meant by Oman “obstructing” the talks.
The United States and Oman are separately engaged in efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz through negotiations with Iran. The strategically vital waterway has remained effectively closed for nearly six months amid the ongoing conflict and tensions between Washington and Tehran.
Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst reported that Trump made the threat during the phone interview.
Earlier on Monday, Iranian officials said Tehran had reached an agreement with Oman regarding shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said an agreement had been reached on the shipping route and that the two countries would issue a joint statement after remaining issues were finalized.
Oman is located on the southern side of the Strait of Hormuz and has maintained a neutral position in the Iran-US conflict. At the same time, Muscat has played an important role as a mediator in negotiations between Tehran and Washington.
The country has also come under attack during the conflict.
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most important energy corridors, through which roughly one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies normally pass. Iran largely restricted shipping through the waterway after the United States and Israel launched attacks against Iran in February.
As a result, restoring commercial shipping through the strait has become one of the key issues in ongoing diplomatic efforts to ease tensions between the United States and Iran.
Source: BBC
END/SMA/AJ