Sylhet, Aug 23 (V7N) — A new account has emerged in the investigation into the sensational triple murder in Sylhet city’s Raynagar area, with police saying the killings were allegedly linked to a burglary rather than a failed romantic or physical relationship.

According to a police source, suspect Babul Mia told investigators during a four-day remand and later repeated the account in a confessional statement before a magistrate. He allegedly said he entered the residence intending to steal money to pay his house rent and killed three people after being discovered.

The development differs from the initial account given by police following Babul’s arrest, when investigators said he had allegedly killed the victims after failing to establish a romantic and physical relationship with the domestic worker.

Babul Mia appeared before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Farhana Sultana at a Sylhet court on Thursday evening, Aug 20, and gave a confessional statement under Section 164 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.

Sylhet Court Inspector Syed Mahbubur Rahman confirmed that Babul had confessed before the court and that he was subsequently sent to jail. However, he said he could not disclose details of the statement.

Police said Babul had initially spoken about a romantic relationship with the domestic worker after his arrest, but gave a different account during interrogation.

According to a police officer familiar with the investigation, Babul said he had been under financial pressure to pay his house rent and entered the residence to steal money. He allegedly said the domestic worker, Tahmina Begum, caught him inside the house, after which he attacked her with a knife.

Police said Babul then allegedly attacked the homeowner, Suraiya Begum, who came to the scene after hearing Tahmina’s cries. He subsequently attacked her husband, businessman Abdus Sattar.

The three victims were identified as Abdus Sattar, 82, his wife Suraiya Begum, 76, and their domestic worker Tahmina Begum, 25.

According to the police account of Babul’s statement, after the killings he went to the bathroom to clean himself and then searched the house for money. He allegedly found several Tk 500 notes totalling Tk 15,000.

Babul reportedly told investigators that he intended to take more valuables but left hurriedly after a mobile phone rang inside the house and he heard someone speaking near the main entrance. He allegedly escaped through the balcony.

Kotwali Model Police Station Officer-in-Charge Khan Muhammad Mainul Zakir said Babul was produced before the court after completion of his four-day remand. He expressed his willingness to make a statement under Section 164, after which the magistrate recorded it between 6pm and 8pm. The court subsequently ordered that he be sent to jail.

The triple murder took place at around 9am on Aug 12 at Nikunja Villa, House No. 111, in the Mitali Residential Area of Raynagar in Sylhet city.

Police said the investigation was continuing to establish the full circumstances and motive behind the killings.

END/AKS/SMA/