Teknaf, Aug 20 (V7N) — Twenty-four fishermen who had been detained at different times by the Arakan Army (AA), an armed ethnic organisation in Myanmar, have returned to Bangladesh through the efforts of the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB).
The fishermen were handed over to the BGB by the Arakan Army at the Bangladesh-Myanmar transit border area in Teknaf on Wednesday. They were subsequently taken to the Teknaf jetty for verification and other formalities.
Of the 24 returnees, 18 are Bangladeshi nationals and six are Rohingya. Authorities said the returnees would be handed over to their families after necessary verification.
Teknaf-2 BGB commander Lieutenant Colonel Hanifur Rahman Bhuiyan disclosed the information at a press briefing held at the Bangladesh-Myanmar transit jetty in Teknaf. Teknaf Upazila Nirbahi Officer S.M. Anik Chowdhury, BGB Deputy Commander Major Mubashshir Nakeeb Tarfder and Teknaf Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander Arafat Hossain were also present.
Lieutenant Colonel Bhuiyan said the fishermen had been detained by the Arakan Army at different times after inadvertently crossing the Bangladesh-Myanmar maritime boundary while fishing in the Bay of Bengal.
“Through the efforts of the BGB, they have been brought back to Bangladesh. Following verification, they will be handed over to their families,” he said.
Among those returning was Mohammad Shafik of Sabrang, who said he had spent around nine months in captivity.
Shafik said he and five other fishermen had gone fishing east of Saint Martin’s Island when members of the Arakan Army pursued and detained them.
He alleged that the detainees were subjected to physical abuse and forced to work for around seven hours a day. According to him, those who refused to work were beaten and were provided with only one meal a day.
“I am relieved to have finally returned home,” Shafik said, adding that he had received a proper meal from the BGB after months in captivity.
He also claimed that more than 50 other fishermen, including Rohingya, remain detained there.
Two Rohingya residents of Jadimura Rohingya camp in Hnila Union, Mohammad Osman and Mohammad Kefayet Ullah, also returned to Bangladesh.
They said they were detained by the Arakan Army while fishing in the Naf River in a makeshift foam-board boat. They claimed they had remained in captivity for around two years and two months and were forced to work in agriculture for approximately eight hours a day.
Teknaf UNO S.M. Anik Chowdhury said the government was continuing efforts to bring back other fishermen who remain in captivity.
“The 24 fishermen have been brought back from the custody of the Arakan Army. After verification, those who have returned will be handed over to their families,” he said.
According to the BGB commander, between January and August this year, a total of 222 Bangladeshi nationals and 212 Rohingya people who had been held by the Arakan Army were brought back to Bangladesh through BGB efforts. He added that 86 fishermen were still reported missing.
END/MFA/SMA/